What is the best toy for newborn babies?
Written on 15th October, 2023
Sensory toys are the perfect gift for newborn babies, in particular high contrast black and white toys that stimulate their eye development, such as the Sensory Flashcards for Babies by Happy Little Doers. These are also UKCA tested to ensure they are 100% safe for newborn babies
Choosing the best toy for a newborn baby involves considering their safety, sensory development, and age-appropriate features. Here are some popular and appropriate options:
- High-Contrast Toys: Newborns have limited vision, so toys with high-contrast patterns and bold, black-and-white designs can help stimulate their visual development.
- Soft, Plush Toys: Soft and cuddly stuffed animals or plush toys are great for newborns. Look for toys that are made of baby-safe materials and don’t have small parts that could be a choking hazard.
- Hanging Mobiles: Mobiles with colourful and contrasting hanging objects can capture a baby’s attention and encourage them to focus on and track moving objects.
- Rattles: Simple, lightweight rattles with easy-to-grasp handles can help babies develop their sense of touch, hearing, and hand-eye coordination.
- Teething Toys: Teething toys made of safe, non-toxic materials can provide relief for teething discomfort when the time comes.
- Mirror Toys: Babies are often fascinated by their own reflection. Toys with safe, baby-friendly mirrors can entertain and engage them.
- Soft Books: Cloth or board books with high-contrast images, textures, and simple illustrations can be engaging for newborns, even if they can’t read yet.
- Music and Sound Toys: Toys that play gentle lullabies, soothing sounds, or nature sounds can help calm and comfort newborns.
- Gentle, Soothing Toys: Some babies enjoy soft toys that play calming heartbeat sounds or mimic a mother’s heartbeat, which can remind them of the womb.
- Sensory Balls: Soft, textured balls with different patterns and materials can be easy for babies to hold and explore with their hands and mouths.
Most importantly always consider the safety of the toy. You should ensure that the product has (either) a UKCA mark or CE mark with details of what age the toy is compliant. Ensure it doesn’t have small parts that could be a choking hazard, and that it’s made of non-toxic materials. Additionally, supervise your baby during playtime, especially when they’re very young. It’s essential to choose toys that are age-appropriate for a newborn and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for use.